Transformation in the agrifood sector has the potential to deliver systemic benefits for nature, people and businesses.
The TEEBAgriFood for Business project has developed forward-thinking guidelines to enable the sector to build resilience, mainstream best practice, protect biodiversity and contribute to more equitable and sustainable food systems.
Capitals Coalition, and our partners, the United Nations Environmental Program, The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity, and the European Union are thrilled to invite you to the launch of the TEEBAgrifood Operational Guidelines for Business on 14 September 2023, 14:00-15:30 CEST.
Why the Guidelines?
Transforming our food system is one of the most urgent challenges we face in the 21st century. Providing food security for a growing population and restoring the natural systems that food production depends upon, while ensuring social equity, requires a systemic approach.
The Guidelines provide a practical way for businesses to understand and act upon their impact and dependencies on natural, human, social, and produced capital in the context of the agrifood sector and transform their decision-making practices.
The Guidelines reference and build on the internationally accepted harmonized business frameworks for identifying, measuring, and valuing organizational relationships with nature and people: the Natural and Social & Human Capital Protocols. The Protocols provide additional support and context when applying these Guidelines.
The Guidelines incorporate three years of learning since the release of the draft in 2020. The Guidelines were piloted in seven countries (Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico and Thailand). Businesses applied, challenged and built upon these Guidelines to help us shape what you will see on September 14.
- Welcome by Martine Van Weelden (Capitals Coalition)
- Opening Remarks from Anna Karamat (European Commission), Salman Hussain (UNEP TEEB) and Lauren Baker (Global Alliance for the Future of Food)
- Presentation of the Guidelines by Marta Santamaría (Capitals Coalition) and Louise Amand (Capitals Coalition)
- Business application showcase featuring Binatani - PT West Seed and Agronegocios de Plata
- Q&A with audience
- Uptake around the world from Rijit Sengupta (Center for Responsible Business)
- Global initiatives to transform the food system from Scarlett Benson (Science Based Targets Network)
- Closing and next steps from Martine Van Weelden (Capitals Coalition)